Wednesday, May 27, 2015

Event 1: Infinity Structures: Paradoxical Spaces by Robert Gero

The first event I went to was the Infinity Structures: Paradoxical Spaces by Robert Gero Exhibition at CNSI. Being my first event, I wasn’t sure what to expect, but it was a really interesting exhibition. His exhibit exemplified the connection of mathematics and art. He used perspective to really bring out the infinity aspect of the piece. He also had to calculate the specific angles and use a computer model to build his piece so he was connecting other topics that we learned about such as space, technology, two cultures, etc.


He describes his piece as having a “stable exterior and an infinitely expanding interior”. The idea seems to defy laws of science, how can an object with a solid exterior or finite boundaries have an interior that is continuously being expanded? With the projections, it made it seem possible, and the sounds in the background gave it a very interesting vibe that made you feel like the room was moving or constantly changing.

One thing that I noticed that caught my eye were the pillows in the piece. The pillows were all dark and placed randomly throughout the piece. They contrasted with the white walls and the piece. When I asked Gero what purpose the pillows served, he told me that he liked to “localize the space” by connecting the piece with what is already there. The pillows were originally in the room, so he decided to connect the two together. I thought it was so relevant and important that he did this, to connect the 2 spaces and create something completely new.


I would recommend this exhibit because it was an interesting combination of many topics that we learned about and also because it brings light to advancement in art, science, and our understanding of dimension. His piece reminded me of what I would imagine 4 dimensional space to look like because of the continuous growth in different directions. Gero is also full of insight and it was a pleasure talking to him about his piece.


Robert Gero and I

 "EXHIBITION: Infinity Structures: Paradoxical Spaces." Art Sci UCLA. UCLA Art | Sci Center. Web.

"Four-dimensional Space." Wikipedia. Wikimedia Foundation. Web.

 "Robert Gero." Robert Gero. Web. 


No comments:

Post a Comment